Greening Existing Urban Infrastructure
'LivingPillar™' is a smart greening system designed by the Scotscape Smartscape team to retrofit London's lamp-posts or other column structures with biodiverse planting to support pollinators and improve air quality.
The Benefits of LivingPillar™
* Smart Solar Technology powers irrigation
* Urban greening mitigates air pollution
* All year round attractive foliage and colour for place-making
* Commercial revenue opportunities using signage and sponsorship
* Smart Irrigation recirculation system - no water wastage
* High water retention fabric to maximise water use
* Innovative construction using patented Fytotextile which supports long term plant growth
* Improves biodiversity and provides bird and bug lines into inner cities
* Enhances way-finding through city centres
* Corporate, social responsibility - green wins
* Easily installed and Easily maintained
* Decorative lighting and seasonal planting for special events
Types of LivingPillar™
Horticultural Content to improve the built environment
LivingPillar™ is available with three types of planting to benefit the urban environment.
The ‘Pollution relief’ pillar is full of plants to mitigate pollution
‘Biodiversity blend’ is planted to provide foraging for birds bees and butterflies throughout the year
‘Flower Tower’ is full of flowering plants bringing a wow factor to any thoroughfare.
If you would like to learn more about the LivingPillar™ Innovation download our brochure here: LivingPillar Brochure
LivingPillar™ in Twyford
Easily installed on lighting columns and street furniture, the LivingPillar™ has been designed to encourage biodiversity into city centres. The patented Fytotextile living wall system supports long term plant growth, the irrigation system is powered using solar energy and installation does not damage the column. The irrigation is recirculating therefore there is no water wastage. All year round foliage can enhance wayfinding and placemaking and particular plants can be chosen for tasks such as trapping particulate matter (PM), N0x and Carbon. Bird boxes and insect houses are installed to establish bird and bee lines back into the centre of our cities. Decorative and seasonal lighting can be installed to add further interest and the water reservoir at the base of the column can support commercial revenue opportunities using signage and sponsorship’.